Sunday, June 19, 2011

Turkey Meat Loaf- An Easy Dinner









On the menu:



Turkey Meatloaf



Sauteed Hericot Vert



Rice



Roasted Tomatoes



Spring Lettuce Salad






This is one of my go-to meals when I'm short on time. I substituted ground turkey in my meatloaf this week to see if it could stand up to the standard beef I typically use. The result? I'd give it an A-. Sort of like how a turkey burger isn't as good as a juicy beef burger, but you can still have a really good turkey burger. If I have time, I'll do a homemade meatloaf recipe from Ina Garten. If I'm in a hurry, I use half a pack of the Lipton's Onion Soup Mix (pictured) for the seasoning. The recipe for meatloaf is on the back of the box, so I won't repeat it here. I use 1 lb. of meat instead of two, and adjust the recipe accordingly.



The beans pictured are good because they are ready to cook. A little more pricey, but helpful when in a time crunch. I saute these with just a little butter and some minced garlic. The rice is just plain ole' Uncle Ben's White Rice. I've been cooking with brown rice, but had run out and white was all I had in the cabinet. We grew up on white rice, and I do still love it! Roast the tomatoes and add a green salad and there you have it.




What I liked about this meal is that I cut out a lot of fat by using the ground turkey breast, and the meal is balanced and tasty and has the comfort of a home cooked meal without the complication of any difficult recipes.






My kitchen secret:



Add a dash of Worcestershire to any ground turkey recipe and it enhances the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment