Thursday, June 23, 2011

Power Outage Meal- Fajita Style Chicken

We lose power to our house more often than anyone living in a major metropolitan city should!! This happened for the umpteenth time this summer last night. We were told power would be restored by the end of the night, so I risked opening the fridge up to grab my cold ingredients. It would have been easier to order in, but why spend the money when I've got perfectly good (and fresh) food I can make in the same time it would take me to order and go pick up something decent? The catch- it was dark in my kitchen when I opened the fridge so I couldn't quite tell what I was grabbing, but I knew I was making fajitas. It wasn't until later that I realized I had forgotten to buy tortillas and had to modify my plans. The sides weren't what I had planned either, but everything turned out really well and it was a tasty dinner despite not having any power.


On the menu:

Marinated grilled chicken

Green Beans

Fresh White Corn

Grilled Tomatoes

Green Salad


We grew up on fajita chicken being marinated in zesty Italian salad dressing. Mom always used Kraft, but I find the store brand is good too. It's super easy and gives the chicken a great flavor. Since I didn't have the tortillas for fajitas, I just topped the grilled chicken with a little salsa, sour cream and a sprinkling of cheese. It was the taste of fajitas without the complication of eating an overstuffed tortilla- perfect!

The green beans were just boiled- and I bought the microwave in a bag kind. I topped with a small amount of butter and some crazy salt seasoning. Just enough to taste.

The corn and tomatoes were grilled, as I'll do several times a week in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment